Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

The Parish Magazine

Berwick St James Parish The Parish Magazine

July '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

Bells at Stapleford

It was lovely to hear the bells ringing at Stapleford on 17th May.  We were very lucky to have such good ringers come and make such beautiful English music, it would be great to have it more often!

Church News 

Not so much to report this month with just the two regular services in July, Holy Communion at 9.30am on Sunday 7th and Matins on Sunday 21st

A303 Stonehenge Road Scheme - update

Following the announcement on 17 May that Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site’s legal challenge had been upheld, there is still no date as to when the Court of Appeal case will be heard. The scheme has not been cancelled but the new legal process will mean no preliminary works can be carried out.

A360 Closure - update

Despite our continued on-going efforts and discussions with Wiltshire Council, Wiltshire Police and National Highways regarding the impact on the B3083 following the A360 closure - all parties concerned have decided against the need for any further road calming schemes or support to be put in place.  We are experiencing four-fold the amount of normal traffic though our village (from as early as 5 a.m.). We have pointed out the dangers that pedestrians are constantly experiencing while using the road due to the lack of footpaths and pavements, vehicles that constantly ignore our speed limits, some HGVs still using our restricted road and the ever-increasing potholes.  It is hard to fathom how the B3083 with its narrow and winding lanes - with clearly insufficient safety for pedestrians - was assessed as being in no need of further traffic management reinforcement. It has been very frustrating.  The lack of any meaningful assistance to our local communities during the A360 closure is a real eye opener as to what we might expect if and when the 5 year + A303 construction work runs. 

Carolyn MacDougall

BERWICK ST JAMES CRICKET CLUB

As we go to press, Berwick St James are top of the league!! With it only being the middle of June this may appear a little too early to start popping the champagne corks ……… but for our club these milestones only come around once in a millennia so they are worth celebrating!!

Following thumping wins against the Salisbury Civil Service and Dinton, top spot was secured at the half way point of the season; let’s hope the team can keep to winning ways before the inevitable vertigo kicks in. Two new members were welcomed in May with more most welcome so if you would like to play a leisurely game of cricket on a Wednesday evening please contact Rob (07867 520320).

The club day will take on Sunday 4 August 2024 and everyone is most welcome. It will take the form of a 6-aside competition where all ages and abilities are strongly encouraged to play. Each team must contain at least; one lady cricketer, one under 13 and one over 50. We have room to accommodate 8 teams in a quick fire, 5 over a side, competition. A bar, raffle and BBQ will be available throughout the afternoon. Games will start at 1300. If you would like to enter a team please call Frank (07850958995).

We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday 4 August 2024.

PLANT PRODUCE AND FLOWER TABLE supporting C.R.UK.

Hopefully by the time you read this we will be getting some sun on the plants and gardens..all I have done is put plants on the table only to take them off again and back into the greenhouse they go poor things don’t quite know what’s going on...bit like me I suppose lol.

Bit of good news..we now have a QR code for our table all set up by a lovely villager..I feel that this will help our table in a big way..who says us gardeners can’t move with the times lol.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their continued support with a special thanks to our neighbouring villages who take the time to grow and deliver their most appreciated plants to our table my back door and the farm shop...you are amazing.

Yours Aye Christine x

I met with CRUK Salisbury branch and handed over 2023 raised funds of £739 pounds I have a receipt and await our certificate from them..our grand total so far is £5,509 pounds that’s an awful lot of runner beans lol..

Thanks so much to Christine for all her hard work in running the Table – it needs our support!

TEA and CAKE and CHAT

We had lovely chats and cake in June, many thanks for those who stepped in at the last minute. The first one in July will be on Tuesday July 2nd and the second on Tuesday July 16th.  Everyone welcome for free tea and coffee, cake and biscuits. Come to the Reading Room at any time between 2.30 and 4pm for a lovely chat with friends.