Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

The Parish Magazine

Berwick St James Parish The Parish Magazine

May '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

PHOTO ON THE COVER OF THE NEWSLETTER.

This month’s Community News Parishes Magazine has a lovely picture of Berwick on the front cover.

It is from a postcard dated around 1925 (no later than 1929). The houses are – from the left (and using the modern names) Lodge Cottage, Old School House (with three stories) and Shepherds Cottage. The next two are the old post office and shop which fell into the road in the 1950’s, and the part one (with the bicycles) is 3 The Row.

The gentleman with the long white beard is Tom Kitley who was the post master up until 1929, and ran the village shop for many years after that. You can just see the letter box in the wall by the window. It is the same box we have now – it was moved (twice!) as it went with the post master wherever he had the post office.  

Welcome to Eliot Palmer and Sam Turnock, we do hope you enjoy living in the village.

We are very sorry to hear that several villagers have recently lost family members. We are thinking of you all.

Best Wishes and a speedy recovery to all who are under the weather, and thanks to all who have helped in emergencies and on a regular basis.

Dog Mess. Please clear up after your dog, and take the bags away with you – there is a bin by the pub and in the centre of the village. The fenced track to Winterbourne Stoke has been bad at times.

PETER SMITH

Peter smith died in his sleep on 12th March, aged 82. Born to Anglo-Irish parents, he had a very happy childhood growing up in Halsemere, although never came to terms with being sent away to school. He was a keen cricketer and a very good skier and enjoyed holidays skiing in Saanenmoser with his family.

He left Bradfield at the first opportunity and went to the Royal Agricultural College Cirencester, with a view to following a career in forestry. However, that did not come about, and in a complete change of direction, he went to RADA to study Stage Management instead. He joined the Studio Management Department of the BBC after working as a stage manager at the Yvonne Arnaud theatre in Guildford. Many years later he gave everything up, bought a boat, a Fairey Fisherman, and sailed down to Fowey, living on his boat for several years while managing holiday cottages. In 1977 he returned to Haslemere and bought some land to start a market garden, later switching to growing Christmas trees. He usually employed five teenage helpers at Christmas time who always looked forward to turning up for work – there are few bosses who offer their staff whisky to keep them warm during their lunch break!

He had always been interested in carpentry and when he wasn’t working at the trees, he ran a successful business making oak tables and restoring furniture.

In 1978 he married Gabrielle and they started their married life in a caravan with a bath under the stars, heated by a log fire underneath. In 1981 he was given planning permission to build a house on the land which he called Greensands, and they had twenty-five very happy years living there with their children, Laura and Tom.

When the children flew the nest, they moved down to Berwick St James in 2006 to be near Peter’s sister, Daphne. Peter enjoyed long walks in the fields around Berwick and spent several years volunteering with the Trussell Trust, restoring furniture. He was a kind and gentle man, utterly devoted to his family. Despite his declining health over the past few years, he had a very positive outlook on life and never lost his keen sense of humour.

CHURCH NEWS

With Easter Sunday falling on 31st March, March was a busy month for the church.

My sincere thanks to all those who helped decorate the church for Easter Sunday – the flowers were stunning and were very much admired by those attending all three services in the week commencing 31st March. Grateful thanks also to Kate Glyn-Owen for organising the crosses on the church railings.

I would also like to thank Chris Lange for lending us a portable heater, usually used to heat marquees, during the cold months after the oil boiler failed. It was an enormous help, so many thanks, Chris.

We had an energetic and convivial group working on the churchyard on Saturday 13th April. The principal aim was to tidy up the Community Garden space and indeed it looked significantly tidier after the morning’s work. Thanks you to all those who were involved.

The service rota for May is for Holy Communion at 9.30am on 5th May and Matins at 10.00am on 19th May.

PLANT, PRODUCE and FLOWER table supporting C.R.UK

Hello villagers and neighbouring villages.

First and foremost I would like to thank your continued support over the years for our little table and now we start another exciting season.  Our table has raised much needed funds for this worthwhile cause. I would like to ask you something, I have been looking at Teenager Cancer Trust, it is what it says, supporting young people with cancer. My suggestion for this year is that we give a proportion of our funds to this very important charity please have a look it on line. I won’t do anything without your input. You can email me at [email protected] or text me at 07927371721

And now on to growing and sowing…strawberry plants are on now…runner beans fine beans tomato and cucumber plants to follow...French Marigolds and geraniums are ready...if you don’t see it on our table text me and I will reserve for you.

I wish you a happy growing season,

Yours Aye Christine x

A360 Closure for the installation of power cables for the A303 road scheme and tunnel.

Following the closure of the A360 on 2 April, we have seen a significant increase in the number of motorists using the B3083. Under normal circumstances, we would get approximately 60 vehicles per hour; we now have in excess of 200, especially during peak times. We have been able to gauge this through our Community Speed Watch teams and our Speed Indicator Device. Whilst we sympathise the impact this closure is having on motorists, we do expect them to respect our villages and especially our speed and weight restrictions. The additional signage we requested at the points of entry from the A303 and the A36, have helped to reduce the numbers to a certain extent and in particular the misuse by HGVs.

In late April or early May, we should know whether the latest Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site appeal against the A303 road scheme goes to court or not.

Carolyn MacDougall.

BERWICK VILLAGE MEETING

The next Berwick St James Village Meeting, which is also our AGM, will be held on Thursday 23rd May in The Reading Room starting at 7pm. If anyone should wish to put themselves forward for a position, please contact the Chair no later than 14 days before the meeting. We have held a fundraising ideas event and will be asking for volunteers to support this nearer the time. Thanks to all those who joined in the conversation on 10th April at The Boot.  For further information please email [email protected]

CHOCOLATE BINGO AT THE READING ROOM

We had a great time at the Chocolate Bingo at the Reading Room on 12th April. Lots of fun, laughter and chocolate! We raised £176.30, and many thanks to everyone who helped, donated and joined in the fun. Special thanks to James (for the fabulous calling and the bingo machine!) and all the Carpenter family, and to all the committee and helpers for the setting up, clearing up and general work. Also thanks to The Farm Shop for selling the tickets and taking in the Raffle prizes, and bringing up the fabulous pizzas. We will do Bingo again (next Easter?) watch out for the date.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT.

The first May Tea and Chat will be on Tuesday 7th May and the second on Tuesday 21st May. Please note the dates! The date in last month’s magazine was incorrect – apologies. Come to the Reading Room at anytime between 2.30 and 4pm for free tea or coffee, and cakes and biscuits, and a lovely chat with friends. We look forward to seeing you.