Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

2024 - Archived

July '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

Bells at Stapleford

It was lovely to hear the bells ringing at Stapleford on 17th May.  We were very lucky to have such good ringers come and make such beautiful English music, it would be great to have it more often!

Church News 

Not so much to report this month with just the two regular services in July, Holy Communion at 9.30am on Sunday 7th and Matins on Sunday 21st

A303 Stonehenge Road Scheme - update

Following the announcement on 17 May that Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site’s legal challenge had been upheld, there is still no date as to when the Court of Appeal case will be heard. The scheme has not been cancelled but the new legal process will mean no preliminary works can be carried out.

A360 Closure - update

Despite our continued on-going efforts and discussions with Wiltshire Council, Wiltshire Police and National Highways regarding the impact on the B3083 following the A360 closure - all parties concerned have decided against the need for any further road calming schemes or support to be put in place.  We are experiencing four-fold the amount of normal traffic though our village (from as early as 5 a.m.). We have pointed out the dangers that pedestrians are constantly experiencing while using the road due to the lack of footpaths and pavements, vehicles that constantly ignore our speed limits, some HGVs still using our restricted road and the ever-increasing potholes.  It is hard to fathom how the B3083 with its narrow and winding lanes - with clearly insufficient safety for pedestrians - was assessed as being in no need of further traffic management reinforcement. It has been very frustrating.  The lack of any meaningful assistance to our local communities during the A360 closure is a real eye opener as to what we might expect if and when the 5 year + A303 construction work runs. 

Carolyn MacDougall

BERWICK ST JAMES CRICKET CLUB

As we go to press, Berwick St James are top of the league!! With it only being the middle of June this may appear a little too early to start popping the champagne corks ……… but for our club these milestones only come around once in a millennia so they are worth celebrating!!

Following thumping wins against the Salisbury Civil Service and Dinton, top spot was secured at the half way point of the season; let’s hope the team can keep to winning ways before the inevitable vertigo kicks in. Two new members were welcomed in May with more most welcome so if you would like to play a leisurely game of cricket on a Wednesday evening please contact Rob (07867 520320).

The club day will take on Sunday 4 August 2024 and everyone is most welcome. It will take the form of a 6-aside competition where all ages and abilities are strongly encouraged to play. Each team must contain at least; one lady cricketer, one under 13 and one over 50. We have room to accommodate 8 teams in a quick fire, 5 over a side, competition. A bar, raffle and BBQ will be available throughout the afternoon. Games will start at 1300. If you would like to enter a team please call Frank (07850958995).

We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday 4 August 2024.

PLANT PRODUCE AND FLOWER TABLE supporting C.R.UK.

Hopefully by the time you read this we will be getting some sun on the plants and gardens..all I have done is put plants on the table only to take them off again and back into the greenhouse they go poor things don’t quite know what’s going on...bit like me I suppose lol.

Bit of good news..we now have a QR code for our table all set up by a lovely villager..I feel that this will help our table in a big way..who says us gardeners can’t move with the times lol.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their continued support with a special thanks to our neighbouring villages who take the time to grow and deliver their most appreciated plants to our table my back door and the farm shop...you are amazing.

Yours Aye Christine x

I met with CRUK Salisbury branch and handed over 2023 raised funds of £739 pounds I have a receipt and await our certificate from them..our grand total so far is £5,509 pounds that’s an awful lot of runner beans lol..

Thanks so much to Christine for all her hard work in running the Table – it needs our support!

TEA and CAKE and CHAT

We had lovely chats and cake in June, many thanks for those who stepped in at the last minute. The first one in July will be on Tuesday July 2nd and the second on Tuesday July 16th.  Everyone welcome for free tea and coffee, cake and biscuits. Come to the Reading Room at any time between 2.30 and 4pm for a lovely chat with friends.

----------------------------------------------------

June '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

CHIMNEY SWEEP

Margaret has very kindly organized the chimney sweep to come to the village on JUNE 17th.

If you would like him to come and sweep your chimneys please ring Margaret on 790395 or call in on her. Many thanks to Margaret for organizing this (as she has done for many years.)

CHURCH NEWS

Our Holy Communion on Sunday 2nd June is at 11.00am rather than the normal 9.30am, as we are incorporating into the service a christening for Ottilie Faulkner, daughter of Ed and Alice, grand-daughter of Stephen and Ailsa.

On 16th June, we have our Matins service at the usual time of 10.00am.

At 3.00pm on Friday 14th June, we are holding a Memorial Service for Peter Smith, husband of Gabrielle, father of Laura and Tom and brother of Daphne. All are welcome.

CHALICE AND PATEN HELD BY BRITISH MUSEUM

Berwick St James is very unusual in having had a silver chalice and paten dating from before the Reformation. They are rare survivors and avoided being melted down during the reformation, probably because Berwick St James a small community of no particular consequence and also because their design is plain, so escaped the general change in the design of sacred vessels during the reign of Elizabeth 1.

The chalice is plain, hammered silver, made in the late 12th or 13th Century with a roughly incised cross on the foot. It stands nearly 6 inches high, and diameters of the lip of the bowl and of the foot are the same at 4 and seven eighths inches. The inside of the bowl, the stem and rim of the foot are gilded. There are very few pieces of 12th century silver still in existence.

The 15th century paten is also silver and plain but for the sacred monogram I H S in the centre, and it is 6 inches in diameter.

In 1879, both the chalice and paten were donated to the British Museum by the vicar, Churchwardens and parishioners because the paten was too thin and fragile to use any more, had several fractures and had already been riveted. The chalice also needed repair.

The chalice is currently on long term loan to the Tower of London and can be seen in the Lanthorn Tower.

READING ROOM AGM

We would like to invite everyone to the Reading Room on Wednesday 19th June at 7pm in the Reading Room for The Reading Room Annual General Meeting (it is a charity). Come along and hear all about your village room. There will be wine! (and beer and soft drinks). Everyone welcome.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT

We had lovely chats and cake (smashing ginger cake!) in May. The first one in June will be on Tuesday June 4th, and the second on Tuesday June 18th. Everyone welcome for free tea and coffee, cake and biscuits. Come to the Reading Room at any time between 2.30 and 4pm for a lovely chat with friends.

BERWICK ST JAMES CRICKET CLUB

With the season already upon us with the generous help of both Matt Turner and Druids Lodge Farms we managed to get the silage field down to something resembling a cricket pitch! Our first game against Amport resulted in a thumping win which we are hoping has set the tone for the season ahead. New players are always welcome with the club playing 20 over fixtures on a Wednesday evening. Contact Rob on 07867 520320 if you are keen to play. A note for the diary: our club day will be taking place on Sunday 4 August 2024. The format this year will be slightly different and will take the form of a 6-aside competition. If you are interested in entering a team please contact Frank on 07850958995.

PLANT PRODUCE and FLOWER Table supporting C.R.UK

Hello villagers and neighbouring villages.

Well I hope that you more experienced growers are having a better time than I am … blaming it on the seeds, compost, the weather, everything except the grower lol. I have started again with so many basic things that I have been growing for years even my chillis and being a bit of a geek this is not good. I have been talking to some of my gardening forums and it seems that I am not alone but this is of no consolation to me at this moment in time as I am going to be so behind with plants for our table. I am by no means defeated and will carry on best as I can but I am going to need your help more than ever this season, I know you will rally for together we can.

Yours aye Christine x

OLD FORGE FARM SHOP and CAFE

Congratulations to our Farm Shop and café on winning the Muddy Stilettos 2024 Award for the Best Wiltshire Farm Shop/Deli, the award is for small independent local businesses and the Farm Shop now goes forward to the National Muddy Stilettos Awards to be announced in July. Many thanks to all who voted for us!

LOCAL HISTORY -  THE EARLIER MILL

Some time ago I wrote about the current mill on the River Till just above the bridge at the south end of Berwick.

There was a corn-grinding watermill on the river next to Mill House, approximately at the site of the present footbridge, for many hundreds of years. The earliest record of a mill was in 1257 when Lawrence Miller paid 22 shillings per year to lease it. Then in 1332 John atte Mille was here.

Berwick St James had many landowners over the centuries, and the Mill was leased by the landowner either directly to the miller, or to someone else who then employed the miller.

A new millstone was brought up from Southampton on Wednesday 20th May 1478 by William Birde, at that time Berwick was part of the Duchy of Lancaster and belonged to the Crown.

In 1578 the millers were Charles and John Sandell when the Wiltshire Quarter Sessions ordered that both Charles Sandell and Joane Long “whome he begat with childe shalbe whipped”

In the 16th century the owners of Berwick Mill (The Crown) complained that the new mill at Winterbourne Stoke was taking its water, the miller was Anthony Fenton.

Thomas Gilbert als Netton had a 49 year lease worth £140 in 1689 – he employed a miller to do the work- and in 1703 his son, another Thomas Gilbert held it.  In 1776 Thomas Miles rented it for £1 5s 6d – he continued to hold the lease until his death in 1812, when Thomas Godwin took over. Both of these probably employed  millers to do the work.

By 1843 it had come into the hands of the tenant of the whole village Mr E C Pinckney, and he had a new modern mill built slightly upstream where it could be used to operate machinery in the Farm Yard.

See an earlier month’s magazine, or Berwick Village Website for details of the new mill, which is still here.

Written and researched by Nicky Street.

WILDLIFE WATCH

Cuckoos have been heard in Berwick on 9th May.

Swallows – The first in by Asserton on the wires on 13th/14th April

---------------------------

May '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

PHOTO ON THE COVER OF THE NEWSLETTER.

This month’s Community News Parishes Magazine has a lovely picture of Berwick on the front cover.

It is from a postcard dated around 1925 (no later than 1929). The houses are – from the left (and using the modern names) Lodge Cottage, Old School House (with three stories) and Shepherds Cottage. The next two are the old post office and shop which fell into the road in the 1950’s, and the part one (with the bicycles) is 3 The Row.

The gentleman with the long white beard is Tom Kitley who was the post master up until 1929, and ran the village shop for many years after that. You can just see the letter box in the wall by the window. It is the same box we have now – it was moved (twice!) as it went with the post master wherever he had the post office.  

Welcome to Eliot Palmer and Sam Turnock, we do hope you enjoy living in the village.

We are very sorry to hear that several villagers have recently lost family members. We are thinking of you all.

Best Wishes and a speedy recovery to all who are under the weather, and thanks to all who have helped in emergencies and on a regular basis.

Dog Mess. Please clear up after your dog, and take the bags away with you – there is a bin by the pub and in the centre of the village. The fenced track to Winterbourne Stoke has been bad at times.

PETER SMITH

Peter smith died in his sleep on 12th March, aged 82. Born to Anglo-Irish parents, he had a very happy childhood growing up in Halsemere, although never came to terms with being sent away to school. He was a keen cricketer and a very good skier and enjoyed holidays skiing in Saanenmoser with his family.

He left Bradfield at the first opportunity and went to the Royal Agricultural College Cirencester, with a view to following a career in forestry. However, that did not come about, and in a complete change of direction, he went to RADA to study Stage Management instead. He joined the Studio Management Department of the BBC after working as a stage manager at the Yvonne Arnaud theatre in Guildford. Many years later he gave everything up, bought a boat, a Fairey Fisherman, and sailed down to Fowey, living on his boat for several years while managing holiday cottages. In 1977 he returned to Haslemere and bought some land to start a market garden, later switching to growing Christmas trees. He usually employed five teenage helpers at Christmas time who always looked forward to turning up for work – there are few bosses who offer their staff whisky to keep them warm during their lunch break!

He had always been interested in carpentry and when he wasn’t working at the trees, he ran a successful business making oak tables and restoring furniture.

In 1978 he married Gabrielle and they started their married life in a caravan with a bath under the stars, heated by a log fire underneath. In 1981 he was given planning permission to build a house on the land which he called Greensands, and they had twenty-five very happy years living there with their children, Laura and Tom.

When the children flew the nest, they moved down to Berwick St James in 2006 to be near Peter’s sister, Daphne. Peter enjoyed long walks in the fields around Berwick and spent several years volunteering with the Trussell Trust, restoring furniture. He was a kind and gentle man, utterly devoted to his family. Despite his declining health over the past few years, he had a very positive outlook on life and never lost his keen sense of humour.

CHURCH NEWS

With Easter Sunday falling on 31st March, March was a busy month for the church.

My sincere thanks to all those who helped decorate the church for Easter Sunday – the flowers were stunning and were very much admired by those attending all three services in the week commencing 31st March. Grateful thanks also to Kate Glyn-Owen for organising the crosses on the church railings.

I would also like to thank Chris Lange for lending us a portable heater, usually used to heat marquees, during the cold months after the oil boiler failed. It was an enormous help, so many thanks, Chris.

We had an energetic and convivial group working on the churchyard on Saturday 13th April. The principal aim was to tidy up the Community Garden space and indeed it looked significantly tidier after the morning’s work. Thanks you to all those who were involved.

The service rota for May is for Holy Communion at 9.30am on 5th May and Matins at 10.00am on 19th May.

PLANT, PRODUCE and FLOWER table supporting C.R.UK

Hello villagers and neighbouring villages.

First and foremost I would like to thank your continued support over the years for our little table and now we start another exciting season.  Our table has raised much needed funds for this worthwhile cause. I would like to ask you something, I have been looking at Teenager Cancer Trust, it is what it says, supporting young people with cancer. My suggestion for this year is that we give a proportion of our funds to this very important charity please have a look it on line. I won’t do anything without your input. You can email me at [email protected] or text me at 07927371721

And now on to growing and sowing…strawberry plants are on now…runner beans fine beans tomato and cucumber plants to follow...French Marigolds and geraniums are ready...if you don’t see it on our table text me and I will reserve for you.

I wish you a happy growing season,

Yours Aye Christine x

A360 Closure for the installation of power cables for the A303 road scheme and tunnel.

Following the closure of the A360 on 2 April, we have seen a significant increase in the number of motorists using the B3083. Under normal circumstances, we would get approximately 60 vehicles per hour; we now have in excess of 200, especially during peak times. We have been able to gauge this through our Community Speed Watch teams and our Speed Indicator Device. Whilst we sympathise the impact this closure is having on motorists, we do expect them to respect our villages and especially our speed and weight restrictions. The additional signage we requested at the points of entry from the A303 and the A36, have helped to reduce the numbers to a certain extent and in particular the misuse by HGVs.

In late April or early May, we should know whether the latest Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site appeal against the A303 road scheme goes to court or not.

Carolyn MacDougall.

BERWICK VILLAGE MEETING

The next Berwick St James Village Meeting, which is also our AGM, will be held on Thursday 23rd May in The Reading Room starting at 7pm. If anyone should wish to put themselves forward for a position, please contact the Chair no later than 14 days before the meeting. We have held a fundraising ideas event and will be asking for volunteers to support this nearer the time. Thanks to all those who joined in the conversation on 10th April at The Boot.  For further information please email [email protected]

CHOCOLATE BINGO AT THE READING ROOM

We had a great time at the Chocolate Bingo at the Reading Room on 12th April. Lots of fun, laughter and chocolate! We raised £176.30, and many thanks to everyone who helped, donated and joined in the fun. Special thanks to James (for the fabulous calling and the bingo machine!) and all the Carpenter family, and to all the committee and helpers for the setting up, clearing up and general work. Also thanks to The Farm Shop for selling the tickets and taking in the Raffle prizes, and bringing up the fabulous pizzas. We will do Bingo again (next Easter?) watch out for the date.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT.

The first May Tea and Chat will be on Tuesday 7th May and the second on Tuesday 21st May. Please note the dates! The date in last month’s magazine was incorrect – apologies. Come to the Reading Room at anytime between 2.30 and 4pm for free tea or coffee, and cakes and biscuits, and a lovely chat with friends. We look forward to seeing you.

---------------------------------

April '24

BERWICK ST JAMES

Congratulations to Lucinda Bailey and Samuel Jobling on their engagement, we wish you happiness in your future together.

We are so sorry to hear of the recent deaths of Tony Gatling and Peter Smith, our sympathy and condolences to Guy, Patrick and their families, and Gabrielle and all her family, and to all their many friends.

MARY AND TONY GATLING

Mary spent  her childhood in Broad Chalke, and later with her grandmother in Berwick. She got to know Berwick well, walks in the woods and swimming in the River Till, and seeing the horses at Druids Lodge. Tony moved around the country as a child as his father worked for the post office, he went to Oxford University to study Physics, then worked in Birmingham. Disliking this life he took up pig farming and moved to Ivy House Farm near Solihull in 1965.

Mary lived in London, then, after marriage, to Singapore where she rode in races at the Singapore Turf Club, including a race win as an amateur jockey. They moved to Germany, and later to Herefordshire. Mary had two sons, Guy and Patrick. There were summer holidays with Mary’s parents on the Isle of Skye where the family continues to holiday to this day.

Needing some hay for her horses Mary went to the farm in Warwickshire where she met Tony, and within a year they had married. Later Mary and Tony started travelling – especially to Italy. Tony retired at the end of the 1980’s and they moved to White Lodge in Berwick. They spent winters in warmer climes, exploring Australia and New Zealand amongst many other places.

Mary was a member of Wilton RDA for many years, a churchwarden, active in support of the Reading Room, and village fetes, she drove the initiative to get the phone box listed and also in getting the defibrillator. We will remember both of them walking through the woods, and miss them very much.  

CHURCH NEWS

Our sincere thanks to Yvonne Allen for taking the Mothering Sunday (March 10th) service and I would also like to thank Kate Glyn-Owen and her daughter Georgie for making the beautiful posies, for children to give to their mothers. They were much appreciated.

In April the services are a Holy Communion at 9.30am on Sunday 7th April and a Matins service at 10.00am on Sunday 21st April.

The Annual Parochial Church Meeting

The Meeting of Parishioner will take place in the Church at 6.30pm on Friday 12th April. These meetings are open to anyone who wishes to attend and all are most welcome.

EYES DOWN BERWICK!

Come and join us for a fun evening of CHOCOLATE PRIZE BING0 for all ages raising money for the Reading Room,

When; Friday 12th April from 6pm

Where; The Reading Room, Berwick St James

Cost; £3 entry which includes a bingo book.

Extra bingo books and refreshment will be available for cash on the night. Bring your own drinks.

Tickets are on sale NOW at The Old Forge Farm Shop. Get yours quick before they sell out.

Donations of chocolate for prizes or general raffle prizes gratefully received at the Farm Shop.

CHURCH GARDEN SPRING WORKING PARTY

Saturday 13th April 10.30am

Spring is here and things are growing fast!

The Church garden is a beautiful place to visit and to appreciate the life in and around the river. Our hard work last year and the upkeep of it by the church yard maintenance team (Greg Moss) has created a special place. But we’d like to spend a few hours doing a bit more clearing, principally of stinging nettles, to attempt to stop them taken over! We’d welcome helpers to join us on the morning of Saturday 13th April. We will start at 10.30 and go on until we’ve had enough, a tea break included of course! Please bring sturdy gloves, forks, secateurs, tubs/tarpaulins and anything you think might be useful. We look forward to seeing you, Anika and Bill.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT.

We are carrying on with two Tea and Cake and Chats each month as we are delighted to say that they are very popular! Thank you to everyone for their generosity in donating biscuits – come along and enjoy them!

The next Tea and Cake and Chat will be on Tuesday 2nd April come anytime between 2.30 and 4pm for free tea or coffee, and cakes and biscuits, and a lovely chat with friends. This is in the school holidays and we welcome children, babies and toddlers too! The second April Tea and Chat is on Tuesday 16th April.

The first May Tea and Chat will be on Tuesday 2nd May and the second on Tuesday 21st May.

BERWICK BOOK CLUB.

For March we are reading “Days at the Morisaki Bookshop” by Satoshi Yagisawa. Our next meeting is on Wednesday 27th March in the Reading Room. The next book is “The Satsuma Complex” by Bob Mortimer. Should you like to pop along you will be warmly received, we have a great chat with refreshments! Please email [email protected] or contact Hayley on 07774 926567 for further details.

OLD FORGE FARM SHOP

Opening times: Easter.

Good Friday open 9am. Easter Saturday 9am-4pm. Easter Sunday CLOSED. Easter Monday 9am – 4pm.

Good Friday – Easter Afternoon Tea 2pm. Pre-bookings only, limited availability. £19.50 Adults. £7.50 Children.  

--------------------------------

March '24

BERWICK ST JAMES 

We are all so sorry to learn of the deaths of Mary Gatling and Roy Palmer. We send our condolences to their families and our thoughts are with you all.

Goodbye and good luck in the future to Fraser and Carrie-Ann Deans and Maisie. We will miss you in the village.

CHURCH NEWS

With Easter falling his year in March, it looks to be a busy month for the church in Berwick with four services planned. These are; Sunday 3rd March 9.30am Holy Communion.

Sunday 10th March Mothering Sunday – 10.00am Family Service (please note this is a deviation from the usual schedule of services on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month). Children of all ages, mums, dad, grannies and grandads – in fact everyone is invited to this short informal service. It is a chance for children and indeed all who attend to give thanks for, and to remember the people who play or have played a mothering role in our lives. There will be flowers for the mums and the service will be followed by refreshments.

Friday 29th March Good Friday 2.00pm. A time of reflection in words and music as we ponder the meaning of, and our responses to, Jesus’s journey to the Cross.

Sunday 31st March Easter Sunday 11.00am. An opportunity to rejoice together at the hope and new life that Easter Day offers all of us, in this Family Service and Holy Communion.

Charity Lunch. In addition, we are planning a convivial informal village charity lunch between 12.00 and 2.00pm Tuesday 19th March in the Reading Room. The aim is to raise money for local charities, with proceeds being split between Salisbury Hospice and Naomi House. Lunch will consist of home-made soup, bread and cheese and fruit is provided free of charge. All ages are welcome. Do please come and bring your friends with you.

Church Brass. After many years of cleaning the brass, Gail Lovett has decided to retire. We are so very grateful to Gail for all her help and we would love to hear from anyone in the village who would be happy to take her place. The brass only needs to be cleaned about once every two months. Please contact Janey C-J on 790325 for more information.

Church Boiler. Various plumbers have looked at the church boiler and have unanimously confirmed that it is at the end of its life. We are therefore looking at alternatives. Meanwhile we would like to thank Chris Lange for the loan of the heater so we can continue to heat the church AND the congregation.

EASTER CROSSES

We would like to brighten the church railings with decorated crosses over the Easter weekend. If you would like to decorate a cross, please contact Kate Glyn-Owen and she will drop one off for you. They are wire florists’ frames, and can be decorated with flowers, foliage, craft materials or anything else you like! Adult and children’s crosses all welcome. Thank you very much. Kate 07970 115710. Please tie your completed crosses to the railings outside the church on Easter Saturday (30th) or leave them with Bill.

THE OLD FORGE FARM SHOP

Special event!

Mother’s Day. Afternoon Tea. Sunday 10th March – booking essential. Please call 01722 790490.

VILLAGE MEETING

Thank you to everyone who took the time to join the Berwick St James Village Meeting on the 25th January. We expressed our condolences to the family of Mary Gatling, especially Tony and his sons, and noted our gratitude for all Mary contributed to in the village and wider community. She will be missed by us all.

We had a short talk from Sergeant Caroline Ralph and PCSO Will House. Thanks to them for taking time away from their local evening patrol. The Village Questionnaire is now closed and results are ready to be analysed and evaluated for recommendations to be made back to the village. Those willing to spend a little time on the analysis please contact Julian Glyn-Owen and we will organise a short meeting to

accompanied with an auction. Those willing to support this or other ideas, please also contact Julian and Hayley via the BsJ WhatsApp.

PLANT PRODUCE and FLOWER TABLE supporting C.R.UK

Hello villagers and neighbouring villages

I am delighted to tell you that together in 2023 we raised an amazing £739 pounds for C.R.UK. It wasn’t an easy year by any means, what with growing conditions and the Boot closing down resulting in not much footfall but all was not lost, the Old Forge Farm Shop and Cafe came to the breach taking on produce from me, letting us run a Tombola and of course the wonderful Christmas tree wish baubles. I can’t thank Sam and Team enough and all you lovely people for your continued support.

I have been sowing seeds and have got lots going on in the propagators hope you gardeners are getting as excited as I am for a great year, so lets get the growing bug and make 2024 another bumper year.

Yours Aye Christine X

TEA and CAKE and CHAT.

We held two Tea and Cake and Chats in February and both were marvellously popular! So we will have two in March too, and, depending on interest, we may continue on the first and third Tuesdays.

The next Tea and Cake and Chat will be on Tuesday 5th March, come anytime between 2.30 and 4pm for free tea or coffee, and cakes and biscuits, and a lovely chat with friends.

Then on Tuesday 19th March (this is after the Charity Lunch being held on the same day). The first April Tea and Chat will be on Tuesday 2nd April and the second on Tuesday 16th April.

BERWICK BOOK CLUB.

For February we are reading “The Stonehenge Legacy” by Sam Christer. Our next meeting is on 28th February.  Should you like to pop along you will be warmly received.

Please email [email protected] or contact Hayley on 07774 926567 for further details.

---------------------------------------

February 2024

BERWICK ST JAMES

We are delighted to welcome several new villagers -welcome to Alice and Ed Faulkner, and Benjie, Rollo, and Ottilie. And Dave and Amanda Northway, and Bill Moore. We do hope all of you enjoy living in Berwick.

CHURCH NEWS
Many thanks to everyone who helped make the Christmas services such a success. Very special thanks to Stephen Bush for organising the Candlelit Carol service – his 19th. As ever, it was supremely well organised and the church looked lovely (thank you flower arrangers), the children read beautifully and the church was full. These services take many hours of work in preparation, so we are particularly grateful to Stephen for having taken on this task.
Our second service in January was held on Plough Sunday, and to mark the start of the farming year we bless the plough so thank you once again to Charles and David Street for supplying it.
Turning to next month, in February, we have our normal Holy Communion service at 9.30am on 4th February and Matins at 10.00am on Sunday 18th, the first Sunday of Lent. With Easter falling this year in March, next month will inevitable be busier.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT.
A full Reading Room welcomed in the New Year with the Tea and Chat on 9th January despite the cold weather (we turned the heating on early!), it was lovely to see so many villagers.
The next Tea and Cake and Chat will be on Tuesday 6th February, come anytime between 2.30 and 4pm for free tea or coffee, and cakes and biscuits, and a lovely chat with friends.
The March Tea and Chat will be on Tuesday 5th March.

BERWICK BOOK CLUB.
For January we are reading “The Transit of Venus” by Shirley Hazzard. Our first meeting in the New Year will be on Wednesday 31st of January, and we will be welcoming another two new members to our group of thirteen. Should you like to pop along for a taster session you will be warmly received.
Please email [email protected] or contact me (Hayley) on 07774 926567 for further details.

Local History  

BERWICK MILL
A couple of months ago, the cover of this magazine had a lovely picture of Berwick Mill. I thought you might be interested in the history of this building.
This Grade 2 listed Mill is built of flint and clunch with brick dressings and a slate roof. It is a bridge mill, straddling the river Till which is some twelve to eighteen feet wide at this point.
The mill was built in about 1845 to grind animal feed and to power machinery in the farm yard. It replaced the old mill beside Mill House.  As there had been a mill there from at least 1478, and probably 1250, if the river had been diverted to power the mill that long ago then this has become the main stream.  
There are two brick arches over the river on the south side, the eastern one has two hatches to hold back water for the wheel and to regulate the water flow, and the western one contains the water wheel.
The breast-shot cast-iron water wheel and associated machinery was put in by P Curtis of Shrewton. The wheel is 10ft in diameter, 7ft wide with 32 nine inch vanes around its circumference. Some of the original gearing remains, along with one set of grinding stones on the first floor and grain bins on the second. The ladders and flooring on the upper floors are unsafe.
The Mill was operated as part of Berwick Farm. In 1891 Jacob Rolfe (29) was the miller, but he lived in the northern end of the village. In 1910 the Mill was operated from the Dairy House by the dairyman David Draper.
On 12th November 1910 Harry Christopher Furness aged 28 was visiting his father at The Manor House (now Berwick House). He came down to the Mill and put the wheel on, and was caught and dragged through, he struggled to the Dairy House and died shortly after.
From 1921 the mill provided (rather dim) electricity to Berwick House as well as pumping water for the whole of Berwick from a borehole up to reservoirs above the village. It continued powering the pump for many years, and was restored in 1978/9. The wooden hatches were replaced with steel in 1974, and the Environment Agency replaced those, and the joists and beams of the hatches in 2010.
The Mill is owned by Berwick Hill Farm, and pumped water for the stock and for the farmhouse until recently. The hatches are operated now to maintain the water level above and below the mill under Environment Agency instructions.
Written and researched by Nicky Street.

WILDLIFE WATCH
Regular views of a Kingfisher flying to and from the river above the mill in Berwick.
A Muntjac deer on Stapleford Car park on 9th January. Also a Reeves muntjac on the floodwater over the bridge to Great Wishford.  On 6th January a 2nd winter Caspian Gull (Larus cachinnans) which breeds mostly in Eastern Europe into Western Asia, also seen on the floodwater by the bridge to Great Wishford.
All reports very welcome – from all our villages. Nicky Street [email protected] The Dairy House Berwick St James.

-----------------------------------------------

January 2024

BERWICK ST JAMES

Welcome to Ross and Amy Anderson and their team who are now running The Boot Inn, and we are delighted to have them here, the pub was packed out on the opening night of 8th December. 

We very much welcome Jane England, and we hope you enjoy living in Berwick.

Goodbye to Clive and Marie Perry, we are so sorry that you are leaving. Over the years here they have worked hard in many ways (especially Speedwatch) and have been delightful villagers – we will miss them very much.

A Message from Clive and Marie Perry: After 25 very happy years in Berwick, we have decided that it is time to move to Staffordshire to be closer to our son Sam, and Marie’s family. Of course we will miss our friends in Berwick and belonging to such a wonderful community, but we are very much looking forward to the next chapter in our lives. Please welcome Jane England who is moving into Greendrake, and we hope she will enjoy living in Berwick as much as we have.

A special thank you to Brian Armstrong for his splendid Art Appreciation presentations.

We send our sympathies to all those who have recently been bereaved, our thoughts are with you and your families.

CHURCH NEWS

If you are reading this prior to Christmas Day, please note that the Christmas Day service starts at 10.45 a.m. rather than the original scheduled time of 10.30am. This is to allow Maggie Metcalfe, who is taking the service,  time to reach Berwick St James after taking an earlier service at Great Wishford.

I write this before the annual deep clean and before the Carol Service. In advance, I want to send my thanks to all those who helped with the deep clean and special thanks to Stephen Bush for organising the Carol Service.

After a busy month in December, January looks to be a quieter month. We have the usual rota of Holy Communion on Sunday 7th January and Matins on Sunday 21st at 10.00a.m.

TEA and CAKE and CHAT

The December Tea and Cake and Chat was busy and jolly, and full of Christmas Cheer and mince pies. The next Tea and Cake and Chat is on Tuesday 9th January between 2.30 and 4pm. It is free, everyone welcome (with or without a cake!).

VILLAGE MEETING

Berwick St James’ Village Meeting will be held in The Reading Room starting 7pm on Thursday 25th January. All are very welcome. After the meeting there will be drinks.

Please can residents propose meeting agenda items to Julian, Bill or Hayley before 12th January to allow time to prepare for the meeting.

We continue to work to maintain the village and its surroundings wherever possible. Potholes have been repaired and ditches cleaned. Thanks to all who contribute to maintaining the village.

We are looking for those interested in fundraising events for the coming summer of 2024 these provide vital support to village events and facilities. The digital survey is nearing readiness and we welcome any other initiatives you may have that can enrich the lives of everyone in our village.

A warm welcome to Ross and Amy, who have worked so hard to open for drinks through the Christmas period. We know there is a lot to do both on the property and with their catering business so wish them all the best for their exciting plans.

Questions, ideas and general information can be shared with Julian at any time through:- [email protected]        

BERWICK BOOK CLUB

In the spirit of Christmas and keeping to tradition – we are currently reading “Hercule Poirot’s Christmas” by Agatha Christie. Synopsis: It is Christmas Eve. The Lee family reunion is shattered by a deafening crash of furniture, followed by a high-pitched wailing scream. Upstairs, the tyrannical Simeon Lee lies dead in a pool of blood, his throat slashed. But when Hercule Poirot, who is staying in the village with a friend for Christmas, offers to assist, he finds an atmosphere not of mourning but of mutual suspicion. It seems everyone had their own reason to hate the old man. Poirot, then of course investigates and sets about solving this seasonal crime. Our first meeting in the New Year will be on Wednesday 31st of January and will be held in either the Reading Room or the Boot at 6pm and we will be welcoming another two new members to our group of thirteen. Should you like to pop along for a taster session you will be warmly received.

Please email [email protected]   for further details.

A UNIQUE CONCERT FOR WILTSHIRE.

www.salisburycathedral.org.uk

A concert evening on 8th February at 7pm in Salisbury Cathedral, raising money for Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust, Wiltshire Air ambulance and Youth Action Wiltshire, attended by HM The Queen. The event will see award-winning concert pianist Rupert Egerton-Smith perform alongside the Band of The Grenadier Guards and The Band and Bugles of The Rifles.  Please see the cathedral website for details – tickets are selling fast.

READING ROOM CHRISTMAS COFFEE MORNING AND SALE

On a bitterly cold Saturday morning the lights and tinsel in the Reading Room shone brightly at the Christmas Coffee Morning and Sale. We were delighted to make £327.81. Many thanks to who donated and came, and especially to the committee and everyone who helped to set up, run the stalls and make the tea and coffee and tidy up afterwards (as well as all the other things that have to be done!).   Items left over were taken to The Trussell Trust in Salisbury.

DATES FOR YOUR DIARY

JANUARY

9th January. Tuesday. Tea and Cake and Chat. Reading Room

25th January. Thursday. Village Meeting. Reading Room

31st January. Wednesday. Book Club.

FEBRUARY

6th February. Tuesday. Tea and Cake and Chat. Reading Room.

LOCAL HISTORY – PLACE NAMES.

A couple of months back my article was on some of our local place names. This time it covers South Newton, Stoford, Great and Little Wishford, and Chilhampton with apologies to the historians in these villages who know this already! All the village names are Saxon in origin.

South Newton. A new farm. In 1086 there were 42 households at Newenton. The “south” prefix was added by 1243 to distinguish it from North Newnton (some miles away!) as both were owned by Wilton Abbey and this would make administration easier.

Stoford. Stanford in 943. A stony ford – across the River Wylye to Great Wishford. The bridge replaced the ford by the early 1700’s, and was largely rebuilt in 1841.