This was built in the first half of the 17th
century as a two room cottage (the present north end ) with an attic. The
present entrance is probably original. In about 1700 it was extended to the south
with the kitchen staircase and at the same time the eaves were raised to the
Rebecca Pavey had this house in 1715. She,
or her family, may well have enlarged the house. “Rebekah” Pavey died in April
1724 and was buried in Stapleford.
The Lady of the Manor, Katherine
Stephen/Crawford nee Snow leased Pavey’s House to Robert Powell in 1715 and
then on his death to his nephew’s (also Robert) wife Ann. The Powells probably
lived in Powell’s House which was across the road from Magna House.
The village was sold to James Harris Lord
Malmesbury, and on 10th Oct 1776 he let “messuage and land late
Paveys” to William Hinton of Bishopstrow, and then in 1785 he is allowed by
James Harris to sub-let his leasehold “late Rebecca Pavey” to Mr Richard Coombs.
Richard Coombs was the farmer in Berwick.
Eventually Mr Richard Coombs leases “….and all that messuage….was in possession
of Rebecca Pavey then Ann Powell” directly from Lord Malmesbury.
It was a House, Outbuildings Yard
Garden and Orchard of
1-0-13. He continued to lease it until his death in 1799. His widow Hannah kept
it, and what is now Rose Cottage, next door, then called Carpenters. She lived
in Carpenters, and her son Henry, in Paveys, until around 1815.
The then owner Lord Ashburton let Magna
House and Rose Cottage to the trustees of Richard Webb for his young children,
Selina, Mary, Caroline, Eliza and Louisa.
The two houses with land were let, and the rents went to the children.
In 1843 they were occupied by E C Pinckney
- the farmer- he paid the rents and put his workers in the houses. He lived at
This arrangement continued through out the
lives of the children - who grew up and married, until the death of the last
Mrs Eliza Brewer in the late 1880s.
It then reverted to Lord Ashburton and he
continued to let it to Mr Pinckney for this employees.
In 1891 Sidney Perrior a carpenter and
wheelwright who was born in Wylye lived here with his wife Prudence, son Joseph
and daughter Edith, and his apprentice and nephew William Perrior.
However his daughter died in August 1892
aged only 20mths, then his wife just a year later. In the following year Sidney remarried to
Charlotte Tuffin, he only lived 18 months longer. Charlotte, then 29, married again in 1897 to
George Bugg, also a carpenter.
Just before the turn of the century it was
described as “Old Farm House Stone and Thatch having 6 rooms with Garden and
Orchard and was “in hand” - probably empty.
But in 1901 George Bowns, a farm worker,
and his wife Elizabeth Ann lived here. And it continued to be let “on service
tenancies” - to employees - until the 1921 sale when it was bought by Mr A
Leaves for £220. He was a petty officer in the Royal Navy.